So you’ve decided to start making green smoothies – congrats! You’re about to improve your health and wellness tenfold, and get more fruit and vegetable servings in a day than a lot of people get in a week.
While we at Green Blender have countless recipes (a list that grows every week), if you want to experiment on your own, we have a lot of great resources for that too, including: 10 Best Leafy Greens To Add To Smoothies, 8 Vegetables To Add To Smoothies That Are Not Leafy Greens, The Best Liquid Bases For Smoothies, and How To Naturally Sweeten Your Smoothie.
For those with high-powered blenders, giving things a rough chop is about all you need. For smaller, less-powerful models, dicing up hard fruits and vegetables like potatoes, apples, carrots, beets, etc. into smaller pieces will guarantee a good smoothie consistency, as well as safeguard blender blades.
Soaking ingredients like dates, chia seeds and nuts for a few hours or overnight will also keep your blender happy.
Freezing ingredients before you use them (but after you wash them) will give your green smoothie a frosty consistency without the aid of a lot of ice, and will also help those ingredients last longer. Produce sealed in an airtight bag should last a few months in a freezer.
Pro Tip: Cut up your produce before freezing it, and for leafy greens, try to freeze them flat. Throwing an entire frozen banana in a blender, or a giant ball of frozen spinach, will definitely cause your blender to make some not-so-great noises.
Creating The Perfect Smoothie
Almost as important as what you put into your green smoothie is how you blend up your green smoothie. Yes, there’s definitely a science to getting a not-too-thick, happily creamy consistency. You can always experiment by adding more water / less water, more ice / less ice, or different nut milks after you get the hang of things, but for the perfect smoothie right out of the gate, remember this: LLFBI (Liquids, Leafy Greens, Fruits and Vegetables, Boosters, Ice).
Pro Tip: For older blenders, put ice cubes in a plastic baggie and crush the cubes into smaller pieces. You’ll still get a lovely, frothy texture and your blender will stay happy.
5 Reasons To Love Green Smoothies
Sure, once you get into the habit of drinking green smoothies, you won’t be able to imagine your life without them – but incase you need more reasons than taste alone, here are five ways your life will improve.
1) Better, and Prolonged, Energy: Most people reach for coffee first thing in the morning, but if you really want to feel bright and energetic all day long, starting your day with fruits, vegetables. healthy protein and fat, and natural energy enhancers is the way to go. Not only will your body love the influx of vitamins and minerals from blended fruit and vegetables, supplements like green coffee, matcha, cacao and cayenne will keep you energized without causing a crash.
2) Healthier Organs, Muscles, Joints and Brain: Omega-3 fatty acids help everything from your heart to your brain to your joins, Omega-6 is responsible for keeping hormones balanced, iron helps keeps your blood healthy, and magnesium and fiber are essential for digestion and proper nervous system function. One green smoothie a day could potentially provide all of these good things at once, which is kind of amazing if you think about!
3) Glowing Skin: Certain vitamins and minerals like vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin D, beta-carotene and zinc are great for improving collagen and giving your skin a warm glow. If you’re looking to keep your skin as fresh and clean as possible, a diet rich in fruits and vegetables will work better than any drugstore cream!
4) Weight Loss: Is it a guarantee that you’ll lose weight once you start drinking green smoothies? Not necessarily, but substituting a typical breakfast bagel, or a high-fat snack, for a green drink will most definitely help your waist line, not to mention help you digest and process the other food you eat during the day.
5) Expanded Tastes: Have you avoided certain fruits or vegetables because you’ve never tried them before, because they look odd, or because you just don’t know how to prepare them? The beauty of green smoothies is that you can mix a little bit of what you don’t know (say something like kumquats, sunchokes, collard greens or yellow beets) with a lot of what you do know (apples, cucumbers, berries) and slowly expand your tastes. Before you know it, you’ll be throwing cilantro and rhubarb into smoothies like it’s no big deal.
It’s Easy Being Green
The best thing about green smoothies is that they’re so easy to make. Chop up a few fruits and vegetables, throw them in the blender, add some superfoods, press “start,” and you’ve got a healthy, nutritious meal in less than 60 seconds!
Plus, if you have extra, you can pour it into ice cube trays and have a nutritious snack the next day.
In less time than it takes to microwave a packaged meal, you could be changing your life for the better. Sounds pretty good, right?
If you’re interested in having green smoothies delivered to your door every week, join GreenBlender today!